In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the process of disabling and removing Top Hits in Safari, the default web browser for Apple devices. Top Hits is a feature in Safari that displays suggested websites as you type in the address bar, making it easier to access frequently visited sites. However, some users prefer to disable this feature for privacy or other reasons. We’ll provide you with step-by-step instructions to help you achieve this on your Mac or iOS device.
Disabling Top Hits in Safari on Mac
If you’re using a Mac and want to disable Top Hits in Safari, follow these simple steps:
- Open Safari: Launch the Safari browser on your Mac.
- Go to Safari Preferences: Click on the “Safari” menu in the top-left corner of your screen, and then select “Preferences.”
- Choose the Search Tab: In the Preferences window, click on the “Search” tab.
- Adjust the Smart Search Field Settings: You will see the “Smart Search Field” settings. Uncheck the box that says “Include Top Hit in search results.”
- Close Preferences: Once you’ve unchecked the box, close the Preferences window.
Now, Safari will no longer display Top Hits in your search results.
Removing Top Hits in Safari on iOS
If you’re using an iOS device like an iPhone or iPad and want to remove Top Hits from Safari, follow these steps:
- Open Settings: Tap the “Settings” app on your iOS device’s home screen.
- Scroll Down and Find Safari: Scroll down the Settings menu until you find “Safari” and tap on it.
- Access Search Engine Settings: In the Safari settings, scroll down to the “Search Engine” section and tap on “Smart Search.”
- Disable Top Hits: You’ll see the option labelled “Smart Search Suggestions.” Turn off the toggle switch next to it.
- Exit Settings: Exit the Settings app to save your changes.
Now, Top Hits will no longer appear in your Safari search results on your iOS device.
Benefits of Disabling Top Hits
Disabling Top Hits in Safari can provide several benefits, including:
- Privacy: By turning off Top Hits, you prevent Safari from suggesting websites based on your browsing history, which can enhance your online privacy.
- Faster Browsing: Some users find that Safari loads faster and performs better without the Top Hits feature enabled.
- Reduced Clutter: If you prefer a cleaner and more streamlined browsing experience, disabling Top Hits can help reduce the clutter in your search results.
In this guide, we’ve outlined the steps to disable and remove Top Hits in Safari on both Mac and iOS devices. Whether you value privacy, want to speed up your browsing experience, or simply prefer a cleaner search bar, these instructions should help you achieve your desired browsing setup. By following these steps, you can customize Safari to better suit your needs and preferences.