The Location Services function on a MacBook is used by Apple’s Find My Mac service and other Apps. Your location data is saved on the MacBook if the Location Services feature is enabled, and applications like Maps, Weather, Calendar, Photos, and Find My Mac can access it.
Related post: How to Hide Your Online Status on WhatsApp
How to Enable Location Services Features on Mac
- Go to “System Preferences” in the Apple menu.
- Choose the Privacy tab from the “Security & Privacy” menu.
- Choose “Location Services” from the menu on the left.
- To log in using an admin login, click the unlock button.
- To make the location capabilities available, select “Enable Location Services” from the drop-down menu.
From this point forward, your MacBook will continuously track its general physical location and provide this information to Apps that have been granted access to your location data. The Location Services feature should generally remain enabled for Mac users, but it is still wise to disable location services for apps that don’t need location information.
The best way to stop all location services on a Mac
- Click the Apple logo, then select System Preferences, then Security & Privacy.
- Select “Location Services” from the left-side menu
- To make modifications, click the unlock button in the bottom left corner and then sign in as an administrator.
- Check the box next to “Enable Location Services”
- Confirm that you want to turn off Location Services by choosing “Turn Off
No Mac programmes or services will be able to use Mac’s current location if Location Services are deactivated. If you disable location services, no actions on the Mac, such as asking Siri about the weather or using Maps to obtain directions, will be able to determine your present location.
For many users, it may be preferable to selectively control location use and manage or disable location services features on a per-app and per-system feature or process basis through the same System Preference panel rather than completely turning off location functionalities on a Mac.
Choose the Apps That Can Track Your Location on a Map
- Click the Security & Privacy icon under System Preferences after selecting the Apple logo.
- On the Security & Privacy screen, pick the Location Services (2) option under the Privacy (1) menu. You can enable or disable location services for particular apps on your smartphone in the right pane.